Prepare for a Career
Exchange your hoodie for a blazer
You’re finally ready to embark on a career, and the staff at Extra Credit Union is here to help you prepare for success. With a bit of experience behind us, we can guide you in creating a rewarding and prosperous future.
Your road to success begins by ensuring you have the very basics and more, such as:
- Reliable transportation: You need to get to work and back—period. So, we can help you acquire an auto loan or refinance your car to bring down your payments. Use your paid-off car as collateral toward a loan to put toward large purchases, such as a road trip to the Florida Keys with friends.
- Clothing and tools for success: You need to dress professionally—period. You also need career tools, such as a laptop, iPad, printer, etc. Saving your money to purchase these items is best, but if you need them ASAP and don't have the funds, acquiring a credit card and using it responsibly will allow you to purchase some of these items, as well as build credit. And for further financial assistance, you can get a personal loan.
- A checking account: You need immediate access to your cash—period. Opening a checking account will help. Stay away from check-cashing services, which are a waste of your money. Use direct deposit to deposit your paychecks. This service allows your company to automatically place your paycheck into your savings or checking account each payday.
- Learn about finances and managing your money: It is vital to become financially wise—period. Learn how to develop a budget and to budget wisely, manage a checking account and much more through:
- LearningLab+: to learn how to manage a checking account.
- GreenPath: to help you with personal money management when you’re having money challenges. Certified Financial Counselors are available Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m.-2 a.m. (EST); Friday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Call 1-877-337-3399 to speak with a GreenPath representative. Mention you are a member of Extra Credit Union.